Sunday, December 12, 2010

Still Married

Jon and I officially celebrated 15 years of marriage. We have had our ups and downs like any relationship. I know for me personally, the past six months have been emotionally dwelling for me. In July, we moved again in the horrible heat of the south. A few days later I found out my friend Stella was killed by a drunk driver. Stella introduced me to Jon and I have always been thankful for that. It is hard to lose someone, who has had a huge impact on my life.

I met Jon my senior year in high school in Fall 1993, when he was dating Stella's friend Holly. I thought he was a nerd and kind of annoying. Fast forward to spring 1995. It was a Friday evening, Stella called and wanted to go to Dairy Queen. I had an awesome discount since I was the Assistant Manager at the time. On my way driving to Stella's house, Jon called Stella. Stella told Jon what we were planning and he begged to come with us. Little did I know he had a crush on me since the time he met me. He used his last $2 to join us that evening.

Needless to say, by June Jon proposed to me at Dairy Queen. I was in the back of the restaurant checking my work schedule for the next week. Jon was working at the front registers, when he asked over the loud speakers if I would marry him. Obviously, I said yes. We never set a date until Wednesday, December 6, 1995, Jon and I were at Modesto Jr. College working on homework. We decided that we should get married before he left for boot camp on Jan 3. So we opened up our calendars and decided that Fri, Dec 8, would be a good day because we both had the evening off of work.

It was a simple ceremony, which fits me perfectly. I had a cute little dress. I was seven months pregnant at the time with Jay. Jon didn't inform all of his guests that I was pregnant. They quickly discovered that fact when I walked into the room. I don't remember much of what the Bishop said, except something about a rock. Maybe he was talking about building a strong foundation in marriage. I was more concerned when the next time I would be able to eat. I was hungry.

Fast forward again to 2010, we now have Jay, Elisa, and the dog, Tiegra. We have moved 14 times. We have lived in 3 different states. Jon has been deployed for months at a time traveling the Southeast Asia countries, leaving me home alone with two small kids. And we are still together.

2 comments: