When my brother and Taushia came home from their shopping, I went to my friend Karri's house. The story behind Karri is pretty fascinating. I met her in my Earth Science class in Spring 2007. We became quick friends and the teacher decided Karri, Lucy, LaDonna, and I all belonged in the peanut gallery. I am not sure why I would be included. I sat in the front row and answered all his questions. (I ended up with 108% in that class- I loved it). Anyways, back to the story behind Karri. About a year ago Karri made a comment on a status of mine on Facebook. My sister also made a comment on that status. Karri's mom was visiting Karri at the time and asked Karri who Shannon Plaisance was. Karri explained that Shannon was my sister. Karri's mom asked who our mother was. Karri told her that our mother is Ann McCoy. Long story short- our parents knew each other when Karri and Shannon were little babies. In fact, Karri and her family used to live in my house for awhile. A perfect example of living in a small world.
Karri is also remarkable because she collects toys and food to donate to needy families in our communities. This year she is collecting supplies for 11 families. This is a huge time consuming task, but she takes the time to fulfill the needs of so many children. All of the food and gifts have taken over her dining room and living room.
One of the amazing things about the Holiday season is hearing about all of the remarkable people, who give to others when they don't have much themselves. All of the bags in the photo below where donated by a women who lives off of disability. She spent nearly $800 at WalMart making sure every child on Karri's list had the clothing and shoes they needed. The majority of the money was her own, plus she asked other family members to help pitch in. There are going to be some warm children with new coats on, because of the sacrifice of a few individuals. I love surrounding myself with AWESOME people!
Karri has a wonderful son named Zachary. He is such a cutie! He kept calling me guy all night. Next time I need to use my flash inside the house.
I didn't get home until nearly midnight that night. I had a wonderful time just chatting and sorting through the bags to get them ready for wrapping. Don't worry there will be a Part 2 and possibly Part 3 to the gift giving.

No comments:
Post a Comment